After a long, wet winter, spring has sprung (finally!) here in Sonoma County and love is in the air. This week’s Sponsor Spotlight is yet another love story about two people who loved not only each other, but beautiful Sonoma County as well. She was a dairy farm girl from Petaluma while he was a ranching boy from Glen Ellen and together, they worked to preserve the agricultural heritage of Sonoma County.
Dedicated to Preserving Agriculture
To quote Richard’s obituary, “Together Richard and Saralee were a powerful team who championed farms, fairs and ag youth, raising millions of dollars to elevate agriculture and cultivate the next generation of farmers and community leaders.”
A History of Giving
Just as they did in their lives, Saralee and Richard Kunde continue to contribute posthumously to keeping agriculture strong in the county through the Richard Kunde and Saralee McClelland Kunde Endowment Fund. The fund sponsors a variety of agriculture-related events and initiatives throughout Sonoma County, including the Gravenstein Apple Fair. According to Tim Tesconi, dear friend of Richard and Saralee as well as a donor advisor of the Richard and Saralee Kunde fund at the Community Foundation, the Fair embodies the Kunde’s priorities.
Kunde Endowment Fund Priorities
- Highlight the importance of agriculture to the county.
- Focus on three important aspects of the local community:
- Viticulture – wonderful local wines
- Horticulture – amazing farm-to-table food and other libations
- Agriculture – Life on the Farm exhibits that provide opportunities for families to experience an array of delightful farm animals.
- And perhaps, most important of all – have fun at the Fair! Saralee was a huge fan of Fairs throughout the county and Tim assures us that “the sweetest little fair in Sonoma County” exceeded Saralee’s high bar for a wonderful time as it celebrates farmers, family, and future generations of Sonoma County leaders.
Experience Life on the Farm & the Kunde’s Generosity
Come experience the Kunde’s generous legacy for yourself at this year’s Gravenstein Apple Fair on August 12 – 13, 2023 in beautiful Ragle Ranch Park! Be sure to meet and greet all the farm animals in Richard and Saralee’s Farm Yard, which is sponsored by the Kunde Endowment Fund.